Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Radiation - Week Two - First Update

I think I'm going to move my regular updates to Tuesday because it looks like that's when I get to see Dr. Mundy and talk to the radiation group's RN. I'll post a quickie note on Friday if I need to, but most of the meat should be on my Tuesday updates.

Things are trucking right along. My weight is being maintained which is something the clinic is happy to see. Everyone knows it's going to start dropping off when the side effects kick in, but just how much is anyone's guess. For now, I'm eating everything in sight and like I told Corrie, the RN, I'm probably one step away from a heart attack because the only way I'm maintaining my weight is by eating full fat foods (cream cheese, ice cream, eggs, regular cheese, etc.). So I've definitely got the weight to drop, but the way it's going to come off is going to be a whole lot less than idea. Nothing for it, though.

No particular side effects yet. I am noticing some tenderness in my mouth and that could be a precursor to the mouth sores that come with radiation where it's being sent. I don't know for sure that that's what it is, but I've brewed up my strong chamomile tea rinse and that's going to now be a regular part of my day. No sore throat yet. No major skin problems, either. I'm slathering on two or three different creams three times a day (during the week and twice a day on Saturday and Sunday). So far so good.

I think I did sort of freak Corrie out today because my questions were all morbid. LOL Apparently I go in stages on that and today was my day for asking the stuff that depresses the hell out of you. No worries, though, they were just questions. Nothing substantial and no depressing answers, so that's that. One thing we did find out is they are going to give me the absolute maximum of radiation for the location. That's good news since I really only want to dance this dance one time.

Dr. Mundy touched base today and asked if it just didn't work out with the chemo doctor. I told him we'd never heard a word from that clinic so we had no idea whether it was or wasn't working. He said he'd call them again. So we're still about where we were a couple of weeks ago on this. I'll be honest, my concerns about that clinic have to do with the way it's run. I've not got a comfort level there, but maybe that will change if we ever get in to see the chemo oncologist.

So all in all, things are going well. No real side effects. I'm maintaining my disgustingly sunny disposition (*grin*) and we'll just keep plugging away at this.

No comments: