Friday, March 7, 2008

Week Two - Friday Update

If anyone sees my tastebuds, be sure to wave as they go by.

Yeah. Sadly the tastebuds went AWOL yesterday. By last night, it was really obvious when I dipped my chicken strip into some BBQ sauce I'd made last year and frozen and it had no taste. Ditto the honey-mustard sauce. Then my after-dinner chocolate ice cream tasted odd.

In theory, food will have little/no taste for several months. Food might even taste totally crappy, which won't help me want to eat for the nutritional values. Whether or not I'll get all my taste back is up in the air. And let me tell you, as someone who lives to cook, that's some really bad news. Pisses me off, but what can you do? I have read a cancer diary from someone who began taking zinc tablets after her radiation ended, and I'm going to try that. Apparently it accelerated the return of her tastebuds, so I'm open for that. Can't do it while the treatment is going on, but when it stops? Oh yeah.

Also, the mouth sores have started showing up. They're not horrendous, but Randall has run a script for some Magic Mouthwash up to the Drug Emporium pharmacy. Hopefully that will stave off the worst of the pain. Straight lidocaine works and that's one of the ingredients. So tonight I should have that here to add to my routine. And I have lots and lots of trammadol here. I take one at night before bed because I figure it's pretty important that I sleep through the night and by then, the mouth sores are really making the presence felt. And since I was able to stay off that medicine for a month or so, it seems to be working just fine again.

The fatigue and dry mouth are also here. I've blocked out 3:30-5:30 to lay down and rest (read: nap) and I'm not up until 9:30 each morning. We'll adjust those times if we have to, but so far they seem to be keeping the worst of the fatigue at bay. And, well, drinking lots of water, but that's pretty standard for me anyway, so it's really not news.

I know I sound like a walking, whining side effect, but there's no real other way. LOL These are all things we knew would show up and the effects would be cumulative, so I'm sure in a couple of weeks I'll look back nostalgically on all of this.

Anywho, everyone have a good weekend, and unless something weird happens, I'll probably blog again on Tuesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds very ouchie awful, whine all you want. Then do it some more just for the practice! Call it venting...nobody, but nobody argues with a cancer survivor venting!