Thursday, January 3, 2008

Doctors, doctors everywhere.

Man. Talk about a busy day.

We went late this morning to see the doctor who will do the radiation. This was actually the second time we've seen him because he was our first contact who referred us to the ENT specialist, Dr. Lehr, who did my surgery.

His office has also set up an appointment for me with an oral surgeon for Friday at 12:30. That's the one where I find out how many of my lower teeth will be history. I'll post an update for that tomorrow afternoon. There is also the possibility of chemo, though Dr. Mundy (radiation doc) seemed to think that was unlikely. He'll consult, though, and we'll find out about that down the road.

Anyway, Dr. Mundy said that once the teeth are pulled, he wants to wait 3-4 weeks for some healing before starting the radiation. He will radiate both sides of my neck (and the left side I suspect will also get my tongue just to be safe) and it's a 7 week treatment. Once a day. So, 35 trips to get zapped. I'm gonna glow in the dark. LOL

This afternoon we saw Dr. Lehr. He's very pleased with the healing both in my neck where he removed the lymph nodes and in my mouth. He snipped a couple of useless sutures, and we made a follow-up appointment for two weeks (and then we should go to once a month for the next 12 months).

Essentially we're looking at the textbook answer of 50/50 for a five year survival. That's pretty much what you expect when cancer has spread to the lymph nodes. Having said that, though, I got the feeling he thought that might be a bit on the low side, and, well, positive little shit that I am, I expect to live forever. :) Anyway, I know what to look for, and from the experience a member of Randall's family has had, a recurrence isn't necessarily any sort of a death sentence. The key will be early detection, and you can bet I'm going to be a lot more wary of any area in my mouth or neck that starts acting up for no reason.

So that's where we are. Up next. Find out when my teeth get yanked and I am REALLY not looking forward to that because along with my weird ass pain medication issues, you're looking at the person who doesn't deaden completely.

Once the date is set we move to the next round. I was sort of disappointed when Dr. Mundy informed me I wouldn't lose my hair because of the radiation. I was hoping to put in a request for curls the second time around. Bummer. Looks like board straight is my lot in life. Oh well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Positive attitude is what pulled my mom through her lung cancer. ;)

Unknown said...

I hope it is not too many teeth, and that you are on the good side of the 50/50 barrier. Great that you are still positive about this all! Stay that way :) . I'll switch hair with you if you like :) , mine is the very definition of curly. Anyway, best wishes to you both, you continue to be in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Well, the bright side of glowing in the dark is you won't need a booklight to read at night. *g*

Curly hair is a bitch to try and control. I envy your boardness.

And you're right to stay positive! Attitude means a lot, really. Plug in whatever scientific or spiritual explanation you like, but the bottom line is it does make a difference, so keep it up!