Sunday, April 13, 2008

Down....Over...Up...Down...OH right there!!

Whhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....new side effect.

ITCHING!!!!!!!!!!!! Horrible, constant, no relief itching!

Apparently this is common, but all I can say is it's maddening. It reminds me of the time when I had hives...only with hives, diphenhydramine worked. Nothing seems to work with this.

I've tried straight lidocaine, rose hips oil, rose hips cream, vitamin e cream, silver sulfadiazine cream and hydrocortizone cream. None of it works. I'm now trying a compound of lidocaine and silver sulfadiazine to see if it works.

The bad news is this is a side effect that can last for several weeks so it may well tip me over the edge of sanity before it's all said and done. If the compound doesn't work, I'll be on the phone to Fentress tomorrow in search of other options.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh shit! That sounds maddening!

I hope something is able to give you some relief. {{hugs}}

Donna said...

Firefly,

Right now, I can say the compound is helping but not solving the problem. I'm thinking a call to Fentress tomorrow is in order. Three or four days of this would be bad, but a week or two or three will drive me nuts.

Anonymous said...

Calamine Lotion?

Donna said...

I've thought about calamine lotion. I'm not sure it will go "deep" enough into the skin, but I've decided I'm calling Fentress today to see what they recommend. The compound I'm using right now works so-so and only for about 4 hours, so if there's something better, I'm all for trying it.

Anonymous said...

Back from a looooong business trip... I am so glad to hear that the radiation is done... but can offer nothing more that sympathy for your poor burned skin. I hope the doctor can give you something to relieve it. Although my Mom's radiation was for the lower bowel, she said that dealing with the burned skin was worse than the radiation. FIERCEST get relief vibes from Dru!