Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Pre-op meeting with the doctor

Yesterday was a long, long, long day. Randall and I thought it was going to be a simple appointment with the doctor who will be doing the surgery next Thursday, but it turned out that it was that, plus pre-admitting, chest x-rays, blood drawing and meeting with other hospital people who have various jobs.

Anyway, that's done, and it turns out about the only thing on the surgery that we had right was the date. :)

Surgery is scheduled for Thursday, December 20 at Providence Hospital. I have to be there at the ungodly hour of 5:45 am since I'm the first surgery scheduled at 7:30. So we're there far earlier than I ever get up.

Also, Dr. Lehr has apparently thought long and hard about my weirdass pain medicine/swelling issues, and he's decided that after the recovery, I'm going to spend at least two nights in the hospital with the first one possibly in ICU because I'll have a breathing tube. So, I won't escape until either Saturday or Sunday...that date just depends on how things go.

It's also possible that I'm looking at radiation treatments after the surgery. That's another unknown right now. Ditto how much of my tongue will need to be removed (anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2) and whether or not a small skin graft will be needed to "tether" my tongue...that really depends on how much they take and how far back they have to go. Basically yesterday's appointment was a touch base sort of thing and getting a few more details and getting scared half to death hearing/reading the "bad things that could happen" list.

What I plan on doing is having Randall post a quick update here once he's home from hospital sitting with me on the day of the surgery. My mother is also coming in from Dallas, so Randall will have her support while I'm in the hospital. She'll leave the day I come home since we've only got two bedrooms and I'm going to have to use the guestroom as a recovery spot.

I'll post in with a quick wave, too, once I get home and am up to sitting for a bit at the PC (not sure when that will be).

4 comments:

Laura Petelle said...

We'll be thinking of you. We'll be traveling the 20th and probably not back to a computer until the 24th, but I'll keep my fingers crossed all the same!

Anonymous said...

{Big Hugs}

Anonymous said...

{{{{{{huge hugs}}}}}}

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Brock and I will certainly have you in our thoughts and prayers. May the Gods be with you and Randall. Love you sweetie