Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Some pretty good news

I know I promised I'd write a bit more about yesterday's activity, but I find I am absolutely exhausted. I will say that we're trying now to get in to see an Ear, Nose, Throat doctor because the oncologist yesterday feels the spot on my tongue is borderline for radiation, but a possible good candidate for surgery. That's where the ENT comes in. It's a money situation, though, since the ENT doctor isn't a part of the hospital systems we're working with. So stay tuned for more on this. If we can work out the $$, it looks like I can get in there for an initial consultation on Monday.

Also, we're now set up so all my drugs related to my cancer treatment (and that includes pain meds, etc) are paid for up to $400/month. That's actually more than it sounds like, because the group doing this has negotiated everything with the participating pharmacies, so you get a good bang for your buck. They can also help with some other non-doctor/hospital related expenses, and I think I'm going to ask Randall to talk to them about the options next week.


Now for the Good News

The oncologist called late this afternoon. I was laying down, so Randall talked with him. He had the results of the CT scan they took yesterday, and from what he's looked at, it seems the cancer is located solely on my tongue. He said there is something going on with the lymph nodes, but the size is wrong for them to be involved in the cancer. He said for them to be involved, the size should be 2 centimeters. And these aren't. They're 1 cms or less. He doesn't know what that is, and really wants the ENT to get involved because this isn't his area of expertise.

I have to say this may actually track with something that's been going on with my ear and throat. That all came to a head about the time my tongue started having problems, but tying the three together never made a whole lot of sense to me. I also know both my throat and ear responded to some antibiotics I was on earlier this fall, though they never completely cleared up. I know the doctor I saw then mentioned an ENT at the time since he couldn't give me penicillin because of allergies.

So this is where we are. I'm not sure I'll have a post tomorrow unless I find out something that I'm not planning on. You never know, maybe some phone call will come in that will be too good to not pass on. If not, though, I suspect I'll post again after I see the ENT.

Meanwhile, I hope everyone has a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This sounds positive! I hope that all goes well with the ENT and getting funding for said visit. Best of luck and my thoughts and wishes are with you both! Have a nice and healthy Thanksgiving. Kasmira.