Friday, May 23, 2008

Close to the end of May update :)

Well, things are moving along here.

I go see my docs during the first week of June, so once I see them both, I'll post another update.

The sore throat is still here, but it's improving which is GOOD news.

The salivary glands are still MIA, which is BAD news.

Each one of those poses problems of their own. The sore throat - which seems to get better/worse without warning - can make it hard to swallow. Think of having a lump in your throat...then make that lump sore and that's how it is. It's in one location and, unfortunately, is located where it can make my left ear hurt. Like I said, though, I think it's improving and, for the most part, I'm able to work around it.

The salivary glands are a whole 'nother game. You don't really think about it when things are normal, but when the glands have been destroyed, not only do you get dry mouth if you talk to much or even just don't have frequent sips of water, but swallowing food is very difficult. For that matter, chewing food (and I'm talking pimento cheese spread and Twinkie stuff here) can be almost impossible. If it's too dry, forget swallowing...just find some polite way to get rid of it.

I've been told that will improve, and I'm hoping like hell that's true because if it isn't, there are going to be a whole lot more things that I can't eat rather than can.

Tastebuds are still missing for the most part. It seems like they're slowly coming back. I still find things that taste just awful (Banana? Horrible. Apples? Ick.), but I figure this is one of those things that will return given time...and it may be months.

Eating stuff is improving, though. I'm down to one Ensure a day or two if I get busy and don't stop for lunch. The menu is broadening, and I'm actually cooking Sunday in the hopes that there will be even more that I can eat. Happiness is solid food, let me tell you. Still doing the high fat/high calorie stuff, but I suspect that's temporary.

Strength is still a problem. It's not helped by not enough food, but the main thing seems to be I don't sleep well. Hell, I'm not tired when I go to bed. And it's amazing how many times you can redecorate, paint and remodel a house between the hours of 1 am and 6 am.

To fight that, Randall dragged my ass all over town this week. Each day we went somewhere. Just about wiped me out, but that's the only way I'll ever begin to get a more normal routine going. He talked me into doing that rather than starting a painting project, and I'm grateful. I just thought I'd start doing something about what we keeping me awake, but this was a much better idea.

So, things are looking up. Food is getting to be on the solid side. Ensure is still with me, but the amount is way down.

I wish I could fire up the grill for Memorial Day, that that's still beyond me right now. So I'll make do with a chicken and dressing casserole, some mashed sweet potatoes, sauted Mexican squash with red onion and a glazed lemon pound cake. Damn. I'm hungry now...too bad I haven't found anything that will work as a snack!

Everyone have a wonderful holiday and be safe if you're traveling or doing other fun stuff!

No comments: